It’s fair season – a season that I love and hate all at the same time. Between helping Doug with his duties as dairy superintendent at the Reading Fair, and doing a bit of judging cow shows on the weekends in recent weeks, I’ve had my fair share of fairs!
Spending so much time at fairs reminded me of how much I looked forward to the fair when I was younger. I can’t lie – I still look forward to it, it just gets to be a bit much after days on end.
And so, I’ve lovingly put together a list of reasons that identifies those of us who already know we are “fair brats.”
8. You know where to find non-greasy fair food. My go-to food at the York Fair was always Tubby Tommy’s Potatoes. I’m pretty sure that there were days when the only thing I had was one (or a couple) of baked potatoes.
7. The only time you go to the midway is in the middle of the night. Who wants to be out there when there are millions of people? But, beware for the carnies.
6. You think that a trip to the wash rack with an animal counts as a shower. It’s better than nothing…right?
5. You find that waking up at 4 a.m. at the fair to get cows ready is so much easier than waking up at 4 a.m. at home.
4. You pray for no rain because that would make things miserable. Anyone that showed animals at the York Fair in the old barns certainly knows what I am talking about! There was more than one show at the fair where I had to drag animals through a downpour. Not fun.
3. You have no issue wearing white in public…and no, you are not playing tennis. Who made up that rule anyways?
2. You are excited to find that you have at least one clean pair of underwear left in your duffel bag. Thank goodness!
1. You love to talk to people about your animals, even though they are interrupting a good game of cards.
Are you a “fair brat,” too?